Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic, which fights bacteria in the body. Doxycycline is used to treat many bacterial infections, such as urogenital tract infection, acne, gonorrhea, chlamydia, periodontitis, and others. Find out more about the use of Doxycycline before you start the treatment course. Discover which adverse reactions may take place during Doxycycline treatment.
Doxycycline and Alcohol: Consequences
Doxycycline and alcoholic beverages: is concurrent use permitted? In the instructions for many drugs, a separate attention is paid to the information about the compatibility with alcohol. Some drugs can be easily taken with alcohol. Antibiotics are among the drugs that have a wide range of side effects when taken with such drinks. Therefore, it is important to know when you are using any medication is strictly forbidden to drink alcohol. One of the drugs that require special attention is Doxycycline.
Due to the fact that the drug belongs the tetracycline group, Doxycycline is also produced by a radiant fungus. In comparison with tetracycline, the drug has a higher efficacy and less toxicity. Despite this property, doxycycline and alcohol together are not recommended. This is due to one of the strongest side effects of the drug – a hepatotoxic effect on liver cells.
The usual doses of the drug, prescribed during therapeutic treatment, do not damage the liver due to low exposure. If the medicine is drunk during a long course, and also in conjunction with substances that actively affect the liver, the level of hepatoxic effect increases at times.
Alcoholic beverages cause a serious toxic effect on liver cells. Therefore, the combination of Doxycycline and alcohol can be harmful to the body. The level of influence can be assessed in combination with many factors:
- how strong the drink is,
- the accepted dose of alcohol,
- individual features of the body,
One patient can safely transfer simultaneous reception of a medicinal preparation and alcohol. For others, this combination can lead to toxic hepatitis. Therefore, it can be noted that the effect manifests itself depending on the degree of reaction of the organism to the active substances.
In addition to affecting the liver of the patient, both components affect the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. If vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal pain, nausea occur when taking Doxycycline, then this can be attributed to typical side effects. With simultaneous reception with alcohol, these effects can significantly increase, as well as lead to ulcers of the mucosa of the esophagus, stomach, intestines.
Many people do not think about what harm can be done even at first sight harmless beer, if you drink it together with Doxycycline. After all, alcohol affects not only the state of the human body, but also the effect of the drug during treatment.
Reception of antibiotics provides a course in which a certain dose of the active substance must be drunk. In fact one tablet is not capable to resist to influence of microbes. During the intake of the drug in the body, the level of the active substance necessary for controlling the infection is accumulated. If the treatment is interrupted, the disease remains untreated, since the dose of the drug may not be enough to eliminate all microorganisms. In addition, the bacteria are able to absorb the active substance, which subsequently leads to the development of immunity to this group of antibiotics.
Ethanol, contained in alcohol, produces a cleavage of Doxycycline and removes the substance from the body, interrupting the accumulation process. In this situation, we can state the interruption of the therapeutic course. Extremely low compatibility of alcohol with Doxycycline leads to the risk of various consequences.
- As a result of this combination, the risk of inflammation of the duodenum increases.
- With the simultaneous admission of the patient can open serious vomiting, diarrhea appears, which lead the body to dehydration.
- During the wrong treatment, combined with the intake of alcohol, the patient may lose consciousness.
- Sometimes with severe lesions, there are manifestations of anaphylactic shock. In this case, you can identify the strongest allergic reaction.
- With the use of alcoholic beverages, the appearance of liver diseases and inflammation of the adrenal glands.
- When the drug and alcohol are combined, the nervous system is affected. In this case, there is the appearance of drowsiness or excitation, speech slowness, hallucinations, seizures, disorientation, consciousness, heart rhythm.
The simultaneous use of alcoholic beverages and Doxycycline can significantly increase many of the side effects of the drug. Sometimes, the reaction of the body manifests itself instantly, no matter how much alcohol was drunk. Therefore, before taking an antibiotic, it is worth considering whether it is worth to drink beer and alcoholic beverages, or abstain for the duration of treatment. After all, this can lead to serious consequences. You can drink alcohol in 24 hours after the completion of the course.
Doxycycline Hyclate Side Effects
In case of the following serious side effects, stop taking the medication immediately and consult a doctor:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, narrowing of the airways, swelling of the lips, tongue, face or rash);
- severe headache, blurred vision, confusion;
- liver damage (yellowing of the skin or eyes, nausea, pain or abdominal pain, unusual bleeding or bruising, severe fatigue); or
- Blood diseases (fever, fatigue, bleeding, hematoma formation).
Other, less serious side effects are more likely to occur. Continue taking the medication and tell your doctor if you experience any of the mentioned unwanted reactions:
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea,
- increased sensitivity of the skin to the sun;
- swelling of the tongue;
- vaginal thrush
Other side effects not listed in this article may occur. Any unusual side effects, especially those that cause your anxiety, should be reported to the doctor.
Doxycycline for Malaria Prophylaxis
Prevention of malaria should begin 1-2 days before the trip, continue the entire period of the trip and within 4 weeks after the return. Doxycycline can cause photosensitivity, the risk can be minimized by limiting long, direct sun exposure and in case of using sunscreen. Dysbacteriosis, nausea, vomiting are possible. Doxycycline is contraindicated in individuals with allergies to tetracyclines, during pregnancy, and children under 8 years of age.
How to take Doxycycline for malaria treatment? Malaria resistant to chloroquine – 0.2 g / day for 7 days (in combination with shizontocidal drugs – quinine); malaria prophylaxis – 0,1 g once a day 1-2 days before the trip, then daily during the trip and within 4 weeks. after returning; children, over 8 years old – 0,002 g / kg once a day.
Doxycycline While Pregnancy: Is It Safe or Not?
Doxycycline belongs to category D. It means that there is a theoretical possibility of a teratogenic action of an anthybiotics. At the same time, no adequate and well-controlled studies on the use of Doxycycline in pregnant women have been conducted. In most of the studies that studied the experience of Doxycycline, it was reported that there was no effect of the drug on the fetus for short-term use in the first trimester of pregnancy. The effect of prolonged therapy has not been studied. TERIS – Teratogenic Information System – has published data that suggests that therapeutic doses of Doxycycline do not have a teratogenic risk.
However, a clearly insufficient amount of evidence does not allow to completely deny the existence of a teratogenic effect. Given these, frankly, contradictory data, most specialists refrain from using Doxycycline in the first trimester. And in the 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy, the drug is also officially contraindicated.
Is Doxycycline Used to Treat Cats and Dogs?
Doxycycline as an antibacterial drug belongs to the tetracycline group. Doxycycline is used to treat a number of different infectious and inflammatory diseases, beginning with when a cat or dog is seriously ill – a hemobartenesis, in which the process of hematopoiesis of an animal’s organism is broken, to injuries and scratches that a cat or cat can get due to a fight with another animal, or as a result of injury. But it is necessary to pay attention that it is possible to give to cats Doxycycline only after delivery of all analyzes and under the scheme which is developed by the veterinarian.
Doxycycline is prescribed for cats and dogs with a therapeutic purpose for diseases of the respiratory system (rhinitis, tonsillitis, bronchopneumonia), the genitourinary system (cystitis, pyelonephritis, prostatitis, endometritis), skin (purulent dermatitis, abscesses) and other infections that are susceptible to doxycycline.
Acceptable dosage Doxycycline for cats – 5-10 mg per 1 kg of animal weight. The cat and dog should take the indicated volume 1 time per day, preferably in 2 divided doses. The course of treatment depending on the disease: 5-10 days, up to 2 weeks. It is also important to know how to dilute Doxycycline to cats/dogs: part of the tablet is dissolved in 1 ml of water, then the cat or cat drinks 0.1 mg once a day.
Advantages of Doxycycline:
- Doxycycline does not provoke sensitization; which means, do not contribute to the body’s acquisition of sensitivity to allergens.
- Doxycycline does not cause a teratogenic effect; the chemical composition of the drug does not lead to the emergence of morphological malformations.
- Doxycycline does not adversely affect the zygote and blastocyst.
- Doxycycline is not prescribed if the cat and cat do not tolerate the antibiotics of the tetracycline group.
- Doxycycline is not prescribed if the cat or cat is allergic, and one of the components of the medication is included in the group of allergens for the animal.
- Doxycycline is not prescribed if the cat or cat has a liver or kidney disease.
- At the first signs of an allergy or in the event of any complications, the treatment of the cat with Doxycycline is stopped. Doxycycline as a specific drug is indicated for the treatment of certain diseases, and it must be applied according to the strictly defined scheme.
Doxycycline Hyclate Analogs and Alternatives
Modern analogues of Doxycycline are Bassado, Doxibene, Doxycycline AKOS capsules and Doxie-M tablets. Due to the high percentage of binding to plasma proteins (80-95), the half-life of these drugs takes from 12 to 22 hours. A significant part of medicines is excreted with feces, which allows them to be administered to people with minor kidney problems. 1-2 fold administration per day is enough to cause positive changes in affected ENT organs, respiratory and urinary systems. Among the side effects may be a change in the picture of the blood, dyspepsia and anaphylaxis. These 4 antibiotics unite not only the active substance (Doxycycline). They are in the same price category.
- Unidox Solutab is an analogue of Doxycycline that is produced only in tablet form (1 table 100mg). Simultaneous food intake does not affect the digestibility of the components of Unidox. It is active against Gram + and Gram + microbial flora. Another analogue of Doxycycline in tablets is German Doxycycline Stud. It has only a tablet form (tables of 100 and 200 mg). Directions for use: After eating, squeeze with plenty of water (this is necessary to prevent irritation of the esophagus).
- Medomycin: The drug is prescribed in ENT practice, in complex therapy of pneumonia, urogenital system in men and women. It is often recommended for ulcerative keratitis. With long courses of therapy, it is recommended to monitor the cellular composition of peripheral blood. Functional liver tests can reveal an increase in the activity of enzymes of the organ under investigation.
- Novo-Doxylin and Doxydar: Both Canadian and Jordanian antibiotics are aimed at eliminating sensitive bacterial agents. But you need to adjust the treatment while taking antacids, iron preparations and laxatives containing magnesium. All these agents reduce the absorption of the active component of the tetracycline derivative. The use of ethanol and psychoactive substances (barbiturates, carbamazepine) can alter the metabolism of Doxycline, reducing the therapeutically significant concentration of the drug in the blood plasma.